The past few years I’ve been sucked in by so many documentaries. These are my reality TV. This really started with Netflix- then being able to stream on the ipad and Xbox just took it to another level. When I work I either listen to music or listen/watch documentaries. I figured I’d start sharing the different documentaries I like, I’ll start with the ‘Rockumentary’. The Rockumentary is usually a documentary that is music focused… it will follow the rise, fall and in between of a band or artist. So here are some of my favorites (with a ‘Mockumnetary’ thrown into the mix)… what are yours?
***Just a warning- many of these contain STRONG language. Just FYI. The links are to the actual documentary on Netflix***
- I Need That Record! : Really cool doc about the disappearing record stores in the US. Great numbers and thoughts about ‘why’.
- The Gits : An influential band in the early Seattle grunge days. Life of the band was cut short when their lead singer was brutally raped and murdered.
- LoudQUIETloud : A film about one of my favorite bands The Pixies. This doc goes inside their reunion tour. Really good.
- It Might Get Loud : 3 influential rockers from three different times in music. Amazing documentary. Features Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page.
- Kurt & Courtney : A doc that looks into the death of Kurt and ultimately tries to connect Courtney Love to his ‘murder’. Don’t really agree but it was an interesting doc.
- Heavy Metal in Baghdad : Documentary of a metal group who put on a sold out show in Baghdad in ’05 – A year later filmmakers return to find the band and country torn apart by war.
- Kurt Cobain “About A Son” : Not the most visual documentary but great to listen to while working. The interviews are long and really deep into who Kurt Cobain was.
- Michael Jackson’s This Is It : Great pieces put together documenting the tour that never happened.
- Spinal Tap : What? This isn’t real??? One of my favorite ‘Mockumentaries’ ever! A must watch. (this one doesn’t stream… just DVD)
- Betty Blowtorch : Behind the scenes of this all metal band… just a good rockumentary!
- HYPE : Great behind the scenes of the Seattle grunge scene (focus on the other ‘grunge’ bands- not just Nirvana)
This is a super short list and just the ones that I’ve watched recently so come on and let me know some great ones that I’m missing!